Monday, March 3, 2008

First spring day



It isn't the first official day of spring for nearly 3 weeks, but today the snow is melting fast, it is 60 degrees, and I broke into our compost bin to get soil for the coming year's garden. On the north side of the house, we may have snow for another day or so (and I fully expect another few light snows), but in the vegetable garden on the south side of the house, I scattered some swiss chard (overly optimistically I'm sure) and filled some egg cartons with compost and seeds from last year's tomato crop. The oregano has some green leaves ready to take off growing. I still need to buy some snap peas, but as soon as I get them it is time to start sowing the girls' favorite vegetable crop. My snapdragons have overwintered again, for the second year.
We have left, I'm well aware, plenty of mud, gloom, drizzle, and cold. I know that logically, I'd just as soon have it all up front, so as not to trick the trees into blooming before a hard freeze. But still, I can't help but feel grateful and optimistic in this kind of weather. Hooray for the sun!

No comments: