Saturday, January 9, 2010

Skiing through trees



Although I've had cross-country skis for about 10 years, and although I visit Kentucky every winter, I've never brought my skis here, because I was never sure if there would be snow. But when I knew I had to come down and help my parents this weekend, the one pleasure I could afford myself was to bring the skis, and take them to the U.K. Arboretum.

It was a tad warm - right at 30 - so in spots, the skis stuck. But generally, on the beaten-down trail, the ride was smooth. The hills are gentle; I had a nice chat with a woman from Wisconsin who clearly had affection for the sight of cross-country skis.

And I had an opportunity I will hopefully never have again: to ski (safely) right through a tree. This lovely burr oak, standing throughout my childhood but now resting prone, didn't hurt me a bit.

No comments: